Our Approach


EDWIN is more than a denim brand —
it’s a platform for change.

Launched in Tokyo in 1961, the EDWIN brand set the standard for Japanese denim production. Here at EDWIN USA, we want to set a new standard, radically transforming the fashion industry from a take-make-waste linear economy into a restorative circular economy that fosters mindful consumption. That’s why our materials are sourced from a carefully selected network of suppliers; our jeans are made at SAITEX, the world’s cleanest denim factory; and we’re developing EDWIN 360, the first circular subscription service for premium denim.

  • Responsible Resources & Supply Chains
    We strive to work with suppliers that are as committed to sustainability as we are. We also aim to incorporate circular materials as much as we can: For example, our labels are made from recycled plastic bottles and our hangtags are FSC-certified (meaning the paper was harvested in a responsible manner). By Fall 2020, our jeans will also be made with recycled zipper tape, pocketing and sewing thread.
  • Sustainable & Ethical Manufacturing
    Our jeans are responsibly manufactured at SAITEX, a Vietnam-based factory that is bluesign-approved with B Corp, Fair Trade and LEED certifications. Using innovative technologies to reduce its impact on the environment, SAITEX is shaping the future of ethical and sustainable denim manufacturing.
  • Water Conservation
    SAITEX is a zero-discharge facility, recycling 98% of the water it uses (the remaining 2% is evaporated). This means that, after recycling, SAITEX only uses 1.5 liters of water per jean, compared to the industry standard of 80 liters. This closed-water system saves 430-million liters of water per year, which is the equivalent of the annual water consumption of 432,000 people.
    SAITEX Water Use Per Jean:
    1.5 liters
    Standard Water Use Per Jean:
    80 liters

    SAITEX Water Use Per Jean: 1.5 liters
    Standard Water Use Per Jean: 80 liters
  • Clean Energy & Efficiency
    SAITEX relies on clean alternative energy sources: 40% of its electricity comes from solar and hydropower, and 100% of the heat it uses comes from biomass generators that burn wood shavings and coconut husks instead of fossil fuels. To further reduce its consumption, SAITEX air-dries 85% of the jeans it produces. By conserving energy, SAITEX saves 13-million kWh per year and has reduced its CO2 emissions by nearly 80%. To further offset its footprint, SAITEX has planted 6,000 trees in the industrial area, and plans to be carbon neutral by 2023.

    13-million kWh = taking 2,000 cars off the road.

  • Waste Reduction
    A portion of the sludge SAITEX creates as part of the denim-washing process is extracted and shipped to a nearby factory, where it is transformed into concrete bricks and used to build affordable houses for people in need. SAITEX is also building a factory in Thailand that will upcycle its fabric waste into tiles and furniture. This innovative technique will reduce landfill waste and fight deforestation, as the tiles have properties similar to engineered wood.
  • Green Packaging
    A huge problem in the take-make-waste economy is the packaging that products come in, as most of it ends up in landfills. At EDWIN USA, we use sustainable plastic alternatives as much as we can, from polybags made out of recycled polyester to compostable plant-based envelopes, and will continue to work toward reducing our waste, and adopting more sustainable shipping methods.
  • Local Economic & Community Development
    SAITEX donates 0.1% of its profits to three orphanages and one disabilities center in Vietnam. When the children turn 18, they are offered the opportunity to train at SAITEX, leading to jobs that provide fair pay and ethical, respectful working conditions.
  • Diversity, Inclusion & Gender Equity
    Being diverse and inclusive is essential to EDWIN USA. Our team consists of people of many different backgrounds, and we plan to become more diverse as we grow. Our digital magazine also focuses on diversity, highlighting women, people of color and those from the LGBTQ+ community.